Although Scotland has over 4000 pubs, the guide to Scotland's True Heritage Pubs lists just 115. These are pubs with the most valuable historic interiors. There are so few because of the enormous amount of renovation, theming and modernisation that has taken place. Safeguarding what is now left of the country's pub heritage has become a conservation challenge. Aberdeen city is home to a small number of these historic pubs;
Camerons Inn (Ma's) has a wood panelled snug complete with bare bench seating, a hatch for service. A partition wall separates the snug from the public bar with it's back gantry, old counter, wood panelled walls and leather covered benches.
The Grill became a pub in 1926 and retains the fittings of that date, including a finely carved mahogany back-gantry with glazed cabinets and over 300 single malt whiskies. This was a strict "men only" bar until 1976 and still supports the traditional Scottish sport of vertical drinking.
The Pittodrie bar is the only pub in Aberdeen to retains the traditional island-style bar. It has a good display of brewery and whisky mirrors (but no Real Ale).
The Prince of Wales is late Victorian with two carved back gantries and an 18m long straight bar.
The St Machar bar on Old Aberdeen High Street is long and narrow in an 18th centry building with 1960's fittings.
The Blue Lamp may not be everyone's rose-tinted view of a heritage pub, but is little altered since the 1960's.
In Aberdeenshire, the Douglas Arms in Banchory and the Marine Hotel in Stonehaven have bars that date from the 1900's.